How to use the NFC Bluetooth Gateway
What do I need to add NFC to my smartphone or tablet?
What kind of NFC operations does vWand support?
Take a look at the most frequently asked questions for these and other doubts concerning the use of vWand. For even more information, you can contact Support.
- What is NFC?
- Is it secure to transfer information with NFC?
- Which are the application areas of vWand?
- What does my smartphone / tablet need to interact with vWand?
- Can I use vWand with my laptop?
- Should I consider any indication when using vWand?
- What are the operating modes of vWand?
- What standards of communications does vWand support?
- Has vWand the required certifications?
- What is the connectivity range of the vWand?
- How can I develop my own vWand applications?
- How can I test vWand? Is there any Evaluation Kit?
- What does the Evaluation Kit contain?
- What's inside the box when I buy a vWand?
- Where can I purchase a vWand or the Evaluation Kit?
1. What is NFC?
NFC is the acronym of near field communication. NFC is a technology that allows the transmission and reception of data without contact in very short distances. In fact, NFC is a special kind of RFID technology, in which communication occurs only at distances less than 10 cm.
2. Is it secure to transfer information with NFC?
Yes, although NFC is a wireless communication, it is very difficult to intercept the data because the transfer occurs at a distance of less than 10 cm between the transmitter and the receiver. Furthermore, this type of technology implements encryption mechanisms.
3. Which are the application areas of vWand?
The ecosystem of vWand has applications in many fields such as Access Control, Data Acquisition, Education, Inventory, Payments, Healthcare, Logistics... The number of applications is enormous.
4. What does my smartphone / tablet need to interact with vWand?
Your device needs to have Bluetooth connectivity, run on Android and have installed an application that supports vWand (SDK available for developers). We are also working on versions for other operating systems like iOS and Windows Phone.
5. Can I use vWand with my laptop?
Yes, the operation is the same as with a smartphone or tablet. You need an application running on the PC.
6. Should I consider any indication when using vWand?
The use of the device doesn’t require any special configuration, the process is simple.
- Turn on your vWand.
- Open your vWand application on your device and connect through Bluetooth with your vWand.
If the screen of your device is capacitive, you can use vWand like a stylus. Take vWand as a pen, touching the metallic part and start interacting with the touch screen.
7. What are the operating modes of vWand?
vWand supports peer-to-peer NFC communications (communication between NFC chips), read/write NFC Tags and Card Emulation Mode working as an NFC Tag.
8. What standards of communications does vWand support?
The standards supported by vWand are:
- ISO / IEC 14443A / MIFARE Read / Write.
- FeliCa read / write.
- ISO / IEC 14443B Read / Write.
- ISO / IEC 14443A / MIFARE Classic MIFARE 1K or 4K MIFARE Classic card emulation mode.
- FeliCa card emulation.
- ISO / IEC 18092, ECMA 340 Point to Point.
- Bluetooth 2.1 Class 2.
9. Has vWand the required certifications?
The vWand is marked with CE (European Certification) and FCC (Federal Communications Commission), also meets RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances).
10. What is the connectivity range of the vWand?
10 meters approx. (Using version 2.1. Standard Bluetooth Class 2).
11. How can I develop my own vWand applications?
For developers, the vWand has an SDK to develop NFC applications associated with the device. For further information please contact Support.
12. How can I test vWand? Is there any Evaluation Kit?
Yes, we can provide an Evaluation Kit for testing purposes.
13. What does the Evaluation Kit contain?
The Evaluation Kit contains:
- 1 vWand (evaluation device)
- 4 NFC tags for testing
- 1 SDK lite
- a USB-microUSB adapter cable
- a Quick Start Guide and a test application (Android)
For further information please contact Support
14. What's inside the box when I buy a vWand?
The box contains a vWand, a Quick Start Guide and a USB-microUSB adapter cable.
For more information, contact Support.
15. Where can I purchase a vWand or the Evaluation Kit?
To purchase vWand or try the Evaluation Kit, please contact our Sales team or call to +34 96 136 65 33.